Goji Berry (Wolf Berry), known as Goji berry or wolf berry in the world but not known in our country, truly deserves the definition of “Super Fruit”. Goji Berry is a very important fruit.
Goji Berry is one of the fruits with the highest nutritional value in the world. This fruit, which is a very powerful antioxidant, has been used in medicine in China for 2000 years.
Goji is a plant in bush form with small soft fruits. The Chinese have used the medicine made from goji for hundreds of years in kidney and liver treatment. Goji is used in Chinese medicine to lower cholesterol and blood pressure and purifies the blood.
Goji is incredibly juicy and sweet, tasting somewhere between blueberry and cherry. Since the Goji plant has many benefits for our health, no part of it is thrown away and can be used. Its bright red fruits are delicious. Excellent tea is made from its leaves. Oil is also made from the leaves and stems. Dried Goji is a miracle fruit with the same importance and content as a dried fruit.
Goji Berry (Wolfberry) Content:
It is a protein source consisting of vitamins and minerals. It contains 68 percent carbohydrates, 12 percent protein, 10 percent lipid and 10 percent fiber. 100 grams of dried goji berry is 370 calories.
– 11 Essential minerals: Calcium, Potassium, Magnesium, Sodium,…
– 21 Trace minerals: Iron, Zinc, Copper, Selenium, Manganese, Germanium,… –
18 amino acids: Methionine, Leucine, Isoleucine, Lysine, Phenylalanine, Threonine, Tryptophan , Valine,
– 6 essential Vitamins: C, B1, B2, B3, B5 and Vitamin E.
– 8 polysaccharine and 6 monosaccharine sugars
– 5 unsaturated fatty acids, essential fatty acids, linoleic acid, alpha-linoleic acid, beta-sitosterol and other phytosterols –
5 carotenoids: Beta-carotene, zeaxatin, lutein, lycopene, cryptoxatin
– Numerous phenols These give goji antioxidant properties.
Content of 100 g dried goji berry:
– Calcium: 112 mg
– Potassium: 1,132 mg
– Iron: 9 mg
– Zinc: 2 mg –
Selenium: 50 micrograms
– Magnesium: 109 mg
– Vitamin B1 (Thiamin): 0.15 mg – 27 mg
– Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) : 1.3 mg
– Vitamin B3 (Niacin, Nicotine acid): 4.5 mg – 88 mg
– Vitamin B5 (Panthothen acid): 1.3 mg
– Vitamin C (Ascorbic acid): 29 mg – 148 mg
– Provitamin A (Beta-carotene): 7.4 mg – 12.6 mg
– Zeaxatin: 25 mg – 200 mg
– Polysaccharine sugar: 31 gr. (by 31 percent)
Use of Goji Berry – How to Use Goji Berry:
Its taste is similar to cherry and blueberry. It is used in making rice dishes, soups and tea in China. It is also consumed fresh in some regions of China. Goji Berries are usually exported dried or as goji berry juice.
In recent years, Goji juice has begun to be widely consumed in Europe and America. Goji juice is usually sold in 1 liter bottles and it is known that the effect of goji juice on health is the same as goji fruit.
It is not possible to find fresh fruit and juice in Turkey. You can consume a handful of fresh dried goji berry fruits a day.
Benefits of Goji Berry:
– It is one of the highest antioxidant foods in the world. Contains a full spectrum of antioxidant carotenoids.
– It is used to increase longevity and as a strength booster.
– Contains 19 different amino acids (six times higher than bee pollen).
It contains 21 trace minerals: Methionine, Leucine, Isoleucine, Lysine, Phenylalanine, Threonine, Tryptophan, Valine… Zinc, calcium, germanium, selenium, phosphorus…
– Germanium in its content is a trace mineral that protects against cancer. It is rarely found in foods.
– It contains 13% protein, higher than whole wheat.
– It contains hundreds of times more vitamin C than oranges.
– Contains B vitamins, essential for turning food into energy.
– Contains 8% Vitamin E. (Very rarely found in fruits, only grains and seeds)
– Contains Beta Sitosterol, an anti-inflammatory agent. It lowers cholesterol.
– It is good for sexual impotence and growth hormones.
– It contains essential fatty acids required by the body for the production of hormones and the proper functioning of the brain and nervous system.
– Contains substances that are beneficial to the heart and blood pressure.
– Contains Solavetivone. This substance is a powerful anti-fungal and anti-bacterial.
– Contains Physalin. It is a natural compound that is active against all major types of leukemia.
– It has been observed that it increases natural killer cell activity in experimental mice against tumors. It is a broad spectrum anti-cancer drug.
– Contains Betaine, which is used by the liver to produce choline, a compound that calms, enhances memory, promotes muscle growth and protects against fatty liver disease.
– Betaine also provides methyl groups that the body uses in energy responses and may help reduce homocysteine levels.
– Protects DNA.
– It is a better source of beta carotene than carrots.
– Contains Zeaxanthin. It is one of two carotenoids found in the eye retina. It is very useful for eye health.